Total list of members: 71 + 3 friends
Listed below are the final list of members of the All Party Parliamentary Group looking into Leasehold and Commonhold reform. A new list will be updated after the general election.
Members of the government are not formally allowed to be members of the APPG. However we have three who have asked to be “friends” of the APPG and follow its work. Nick Gibb, Robert Buckland and David Mowat each of whom have constituency interests.
If your MP is not a member of the APPG yet, please fell free to encourage them to join -after the election. They can contact either us at the Leasehold Knowledge Partnership, which is serving as the secretariat for the APPG, on APPG@leaseholdknowledge.com or write to either of the co-chairs of the group, Sir Peter Bottomley MP or Jim Fitzpatrick MP at their parliamentary addresses.
The aims of the All Party Parliamentary Group are:
- 1/ To reduce the opportunities for exploitation;
- 2/ To alleviate the distress and hardship of leaseholders, particularly the elderly;
- 3/ To do away with the high costs and legal gamesmanship that have distorted the original intention of the property tribunal as a low cost forum for redress.
- 4/ It will examine the incidence of lease forfeiture, and consider the case for its reform, as recommended by the Law Commission in 2006.
- 5/ It will examine why the values of retirement leasehold properties can have no relationship at all to the local property markets.
- 6/ It will unearth and publicise scandalous behaviour of professions involved in the leasehold sector.
- 7/ It will examine those matters where leaseholder pay for a service but are not deemed party to a contract and therefore have limited rights. On issues such as insurance the matter of commissions and the leaseholders rights under the terms of a policy will be reviewed
- 8/ To ensure that right to manage legislation acts as intended, although currently frustrated by freeholders’ legal actions in the property tribunal and, lately, the Court of Appeal.
|Debbie||Abrahams MP||Oldham East and Saddleworth|
|Rushanara||Ali MP||Bethnal Green and Bow|
|Sir David||Amess MP||Southend West|
|Jon||Ashworth MP||Leicester South|
|Ian||Austin MP||Dudley North|
|Bob||Blackman MP||Harrow East|
|Sir Peter||Bottomley MP||Worthing West|
|Graham||Brady MP||Altrincham and Sale West|
|Ruth||Cadbury MP||Brentford and Isleworth|
|Ronnie||Campbell MP||Blyth Valley|
|Rosie||Cooper MP||West Lancashire|
|John||Cryer MP||Leyton and Wanstead|
|Geraint||Daveis MP||Swansea West|
|Sir Edward||Davey MP||Kingston and Surbiton|
|Stephen||Doughty MP||Cardiff South and Penarth|
|Steve||Double MP||St Austell and Newquay|
|Jack||Dromey MP||Birmingham, Erdington|
|Julie||Elliot MP||Sunderland Central|
|Mark||Field MP||Cities of London and Westminster|
|Jim||Fitzpatrick MP||Poplar and Limehouse|
|Paul||Flynn MP||Newport West|
|Mike||Freer MP||Finchley and Golders Green|
|Barry||Gardiner MP||Brent North|
|Helen||Goodman MP||Bishop Auckland|
|Chris||Green MP||Bolton West|
|Helen||Hayes MP||Dulwich and West Norwood|
|Nick||Herbert MP||Arundel and South Downs|
|Susan Elen||Jones MP||Clwyd South|
|Barbara||Keeley MP||Worsley and Eccles South|
|Rebecca||Long Bailey MP||Salford and Eccles|
|Justin||Madders MP||Ellesmere Port and Neston|
|Conor||McGinn MP||St Helens North|
|Alison||McGovern MP||Wirral South|
|Liz||McInnes MP||Heywood and Middleton|
|Catherine||McKinnell MP||Newcastle upon Tyne North|
|Chi||Onwurah MP||Newcastle upon Tyne Central|
|Matthew||Pennycook MP||Greenwich and Woolwich|
|Lucy||Powell MP||Manchester Central|
|Mark||Prisk MP||Hertford and Stortford|
|Yasmin||Qureshi MP||Bolton South East|
|Emma||Reynolds MP||Wolverhampton North East|
|Marie||Rimmer MP||St Helens South and Whiston|
|Andrew||Selous MP||South West Bedfordshire|
|Tulip||Siddiq MP||Hampstead and Kilburn|
|Angela||Smith MP||Penistone and Stocksbridge|
|Cat||Smith MP||Lancaster and Fleetwood|
|Jeff||Smith MP||Manchester Withington|
|Dame Caroline||Spelman MP||Meriden|
|Keir||Starmer MP||Holborn and St Pancras|
|Graham||Stringer MP||Blackley and Broughton|
|Mark||Tami MP||Alyn and Deeside|
|Gareth||Thomas MP||Harrow West|
|Justin||Tomlinson MP||North Swindon|
|Stephen||Twigg MP||Liverpool West Derby|
|Baroness||Gardner of Parkes|
|Lord||Kennedy of Southwark|
|Baroness||McIntosh of Pickering|
|Lord||O’Neill of Clackmannan|
As with all APPG sites we are required to state: “This is not an official website [or feed] of the House of Commons or the House of Lords. It has not been approved by either House or its committees. All-Party Parliamentary Groups are informal groups of Members of both Houses with a common interest in particular issues. The views expressed in these webpages are those of the group”.